A guest room. I love a good set-in-stone-deadline that forces you to get your rear in gear and get things organized, thrown away, and put any leftover crap in it's place before the company arrives.
Here's a little glimpse of ours...
You know what you get when you have a sister? Or at least a sister like mine? A bestest friend.
Someone you can laugh with in a way you could never laugh with anyone else in the world. Someone who just gets it without an explanation. Someone who loves your babies as much as they love their own. Someone who loves you no matter how opposite you are. Someone who loves you no matter what ever happens in life. Someone who inspires you. Someone you seek out for advice. Someone you play in makeup with and someone you go shopping with. Someone you still share clothes with. Someone you look up to - even though, she's younger. My sister is a forever friend. And I can't seem to say goodbye to her (or write this post) without tearing up.
There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me. - Mary Montague
(Boy, have these pregnancy hormones been on crying overload lately! Whew!)
Might I also add, that you get a 'brother' when you get a sister. Because my brother-in-law is pretty much the best older brother I always wanted, and the fact that he takes pretty good care of my little sis and my precious nephews is a huge perk too.
We had a great time this weekend with Aaron, Holly, and the boys. It was great to watch the babies play and Dylan entertain them. The babies didn't really "play" together, but they would play beside each other, and be completely oblivious to each other. We enjoyed hearing Brody show off his cute little vocabulary of peez (please), ank-oo (thank you), goggie (doggie), mama, and dada. And Breck incessantly showed them that he can say go, hot, and gog. Brody is a super smiley baby and has no fear. We learned that Breck doesn't really understand the idea of sharing yet, and he needs to toughen up when it comes to other babies touching or patting him. He nearly freaked out every time Brody would touch him. Ha!
The only bummer to the weekend was that Dylan suffered a bout of a twenty-four hour stomach bug and the weather was dreary and horrible. Both situations gave us a good excuse to bum around in our jammies all day Saturday and relax together and pamper Dyl. Even though the rain came Sunday, we all got showered and dressed up to go out to the mall and hit up Red Robin for some delicious lunch. Now that's a day out with kids. :)
Brody-bro has gotten SO BIG since we saw him at Christmas.
He's such a little darling and always smiling!
Bathtime with cousin.
While babies are napping, mommies will shop and play. Shop at Nordstrom Rack and play in makeup. My sister has the goods when it comes to makeup. She's the makeup color guru. I always love having her tell me about her latest and greatest MAC colors! Amber Lights, Knight Divine, Sumptuous Olive, and Star Violet, I want you all - in all of your highly pigmented glory.
The boys really enjoyed themselves some giant rubberized-breakfast-food-play-equipment.
And a yummy lunch at Red Robin's. Um, by the way. Never been to Red Robin's before this weekend, but it ranks right up there with some of my other hand-full-o-favorite-restaurants.
Poor boy earned his root beer float after spending half the weekend with the stomach bug.
The Indiana Easter bunny came early and hopped out the back of Uncle Aaron and Aunt Holly's car.
That bunny sure has good taste!
Ps. Obviously this little "ps." could be a post all it's own, but in keeping with the You know what you get...
You know what you get when you get a mother-in-law? Or at least a mother-in-law like mine?
The best mom-in-law in the world. Someone who deserves to be called a mom-in-law and not mother-in-law. She doesn't deserve the stereotypical mother-in-law jokes.
This woman is the hardest worker. The very first picture in this post? Our guest room? Well, it was only possible because she was over here working her heart out to help me get ready for company and get our guest room finished.
And last night. Know what she did? She instantly invited us over for dinner as soon as she heard my stuffy nose on the other end of the phone. Cuz she's a Momma too and has been there and knows that a sick Momma plus a clingy baby, plus a five-load-of laundry-day doesn't leave much time or energy to fix a dinner. She expects me to do nothing, but show up at 6:00pm to her T-bone steak, baked potatoes, mushroom and onion, salad, and cherry blossoms dinner. Honest.
And today. Know what else she did? When I got home from my doctors appointment I found another surprise. She managed to put away all of the clean dishes in my dishwasher, and load all of the dirty ones into the dishwasher, while she watched Breck for me. None of these things she has to do, or no one makes her feel like she should do them, but she simply just has the biggest servants heart I've ever seen. And when I thanked her, she said, I just know how relieved I am to come home to a dish-free sink, and I also understand not having time to get them done. She doesn't judge. :)
I am always turning around to find myself being a little more relieved by something because of her help and her initiative.
Pss. Between the neighbors dog incessantly barking, the jeep car alarm randomly sounding in the parking lot, and the ambulance sirens blaring while I write this post... I have no idea how Breck is still sleeping. And if either one of them wake up the boy, I may have to go shut them up myself!

















Aaawww, Amber, I miss "stalking" you on facebook, but loove love love to read up on your blog!!
ReplyDeleteHope you guys are doing well!!
One Thousand Gifts.....I have so many....but one you will never guess....My MOM! When I was a young Mommy with three little babies all under foot and a husband who worked second/third shift, she would frequently come and clean up my kitchen, empty my trash and throw in a load of laundry. In that day and age we also did a lot of ironing and she would ALWAYS do mine. She was a good example of what was a huge help to me. I'm not sure her heart was the same as mine, but I felt the benefits of her work and I want you to have that little extra edge too! An empty sink and a few less boxes of "stuff" can make the heart lighter....especially when you are having hormonal meltdowns! Who wouldn't love a clean sink? LOLOL!!
ReplyDeleteI consider it a complete JOY to participate in your life in whatever little ways can make it easier for you as you love and take care of my son and the babies!!
Oh my gosh. If it wasn't 11 at night and if i wasn't delirious due to a serious lack of sleep, I'd be bawling all over this post. First, because the guest bedroom is gorgeous. Second, because you love your sister as much as I love mine, and you said it SO SO perfectly. Third, because those two little munchkins in matching pajamas are honest-to-goodness God's greatest cuteness bundled up into one crib. Fourth, because Dylan is such a beautiful-sorry!-handsome little guy (seriously? those eyes!) and I can't believe he had to combat the stomach bug on his fun trip to Aunt A's! And fifth, I could cry just thinking about how awesome it is to have a unloaded/loaded dishwasher and a dinner made, and oh my goodness what a sweet mom-in-law you have on your hands! I feel honored to have met her at the mom's sale last month =) hehe. Oh my goodness. could i write longer and more poorly punctuated comments tonight?! sleep deprived. at least I warned you. =) LOVE this post!
ReplyDeleteWhere in the world did B & B get those matching jammies?? LOL ;) Adorable! Thanks for posting that picture! They look so cute in the crib and tub together!! Those huge breakfast food play thingies look fun...Dylan seems to be stuck to it!! Ha! I know you had a fun time together! <3 Mom
ReplyDelete